Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Nicer Ones are always up Front


By: Samantha Daviss

This past weekend my family and I went out to celebrate my oldest turning 12. First of all I can’t believe that “my baby” is twelve, I don’t feel old enough to have a 12 year old. But nonetheless he is one of the three apples of my eye, and I am so proud of the young man he is becoming.

But I will talk about my pride for my children another time…oh, wait I do that every other week…so I want to focus on something else. And that is…why do they always part the fancier more expensive cars closer to the restaurant? This has always been an issue with me, in a joking manner, I really don’t lose any sleep over it…it just gives me something to ponder on.

What makes that $350,000 Ferrari more important or more special than my awesome Mom-mobile?

I know for a fact that we have way more fun in my car…we listen to “Let It Go” and sing it at the top of our lungs, we sing our “ABCs” constantly, sadly Cat in the Hat or Thomas the Train is always playing in the DVD players in the backseats. My car has probably had more laughter, more poopy diapers, been on more road trips, and kept a happy little family safer than that stinky old Ferrari.

So why isn’t my car special enough to get parked up front? If you really want to compare apples to apples, if these cars could talk, which car is more worthy of a little more special attention and a little more TLC (tender loving care)? The Ferrari, which I can only assume that gets hand washed with a cloth diaper every single day? Or my SUV that has been put to the test from crashing into a deer, keeping its family safe, milk spills, juice spills, goldfish crumbs embedded in the floorboard, finger prints smeared down the windows, dirty diapers that got changed in the back end and then stored in a trash bag until we could find a trash can, baseball cleats being kicked on the backside of the seats, and oh of course how could I forget…ICE CREAM….need I say more than those two words when a vehicle is involved?

So I am thinking that those valet guys at the restaurant may need to increase their “automotive value” by placing the cars that deserve a little more attention and affection up front over those teeny tiny little sports cars. To me I would rather look at the little stick figure stickers on the back window of an SUV with the daddy, the mommy, the two girls, the little boy, the two dogs, and the three cats any day over a horse reared up on his hind legs with his mane billowing in the wind (aka the Ferrari emblem).

It just makes me smile to think that people think that by parking the fancy high dollar cars up front adds value to their establishment. To me it’s the person that drove that vehicle there that adds value to their establishment. Don’t get me wrong, the owner of that Ferrari could be the nicest person on the planet, but he could also be the cruelest shallowest person, too. But the owner of that SUV has definitely put their wishes and dreams of that sports car on the back burner for the safety and the comfort of their family.

Yes do I think that Ferrari is gorgeous and sleek to look at? Absolutely. But it makes me smile and all warm inside to see the SUV with the dent in the side from a baseball being thrown at it, the sticker residue on the inside of the window, and the dirty rims from just returning home from a fun road trip.

I guess what I am saying is “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.

No comments: