Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Boy oh BOYS!




By: Samantha S. Daviss

You would think I would run out of stories to tell about my boys, but every day is a new day and a new adventure in our house.

Most recently my middle one has been telling me every five minutes that he wants to marry me. But the other day he took it back, because I didn’t get his milk fast enough; so he had a total and complete meltdown and told me he was no longer going to marry me. So as you can only imagine, my heart was broken.

And the very next day, he asked me for some more milk, and I retrieved it for him; and upon my return he announced to me that he was going to marry me again, so apparently the wedding is back on. But he also proceeded to tell me that “I was the best mommy in the world.” And I asked why he said that…”Because you get us stuff when we ask for it.”

Good enough for me.

But the excitement with that one didn’t stop there…we have now officially broken five bones in our house this year. I’m wondering if the ER will consider just getting me a hospital band for each boy, so I can run my arm under a scanner, like at the grocery store, and we can go on back to our designated room.

It was pretty simple, he and his big brother were kicking the soccer ball down the driveway, and his foot rolled over the top of the ball, and broke his tibia. It really is amazing. We are a very outdoorsy family; but we don’t do crazy stuff like rock climbing, or cave jumping, or swimming with sharks. 

We do normal outside activities just like every other family in the world…but apparently my grace and coordination rubbed off on all of my children.

But regardless of our accidents we are all always smiling and loving life together. I tell you what, this little guy is taking this full leg cast like a champ. He is definitely a better patient about it than I would ever be. And his two brothers have been amazing. The minute the accident happened, the little one ran inside the house, grabbed a Band-Aid and slapped it on his brother’s leg; while the oldest also ran inside and grabbed his ankle brace, thinking maybe he sprained his ankle.

So the brotherly love and bond is definitely there; blood definitely is thicker than water. Even though there are also those days that I am pretty sure one of them is going to kill the other one, out of pure frustration. But even as loud, chaotic, the multitude of cookie crumbs I find in my bed, the numerous pairs of shoes I trip over in the house, and the endless number of toys I put away (both inside and out) on a daily basis; I know I am going to wake up one morning, and shutter at the silence in my house.

I am watching all these young people that I have been getting to know over the past eight years, grow into wonderful young adults, and planning their high school graduations, filling out college applications, all the “Senior Nights”, and proms; and I know that my day is not too far away.

In fact my oldest just went to his first homecoming. He had a great time and loved every minute of it. But to see his little smile next to a young lady, made my heart skip a beat. It skipped knowing that the little boy I once held in my arms nightly, rocking him to sleep, singing (not well, but singing nonetheless) until he drifted off, or the nights I laid next to his crib with my hands between the bars because he was scared or didn’t feel well are a thing of the past. He is growing up so fast, broken bones and all. He is turning into the wonderful young man that I have hoped and prayed he would become. But there are still those days that he still needs his Mommy. And he is the best about our daily hug routine. He will come out of nowhere, arms wide, just needing a hug. And that is something I never, ever get tired of.

So to that I say thank you. Thank You for watching over my little family and providing us with laughter, tears, smiles, and lots and lots of hugs and kisses inside our four little walls…while these wonderful (albeit a little clumsy) boys grow into some extraordinarily fine young men.

Boys are amazing. They are rough and tumble, clumsy and funny; but have the biggest hearts and the most love to offer any one human being, especially mom.

No comments: