Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

To my Future Daughter in Law




By: Samantha S. Daviss

Dear Future Daughter in Law,

I don’t know who you are, but I am excited to meet you one day and welcome you openly into our family. But only under two conditions…one that you love my son unconditionally; and two, that you accept and love our family as your own, and understand that once you are a part of our crazy, fun-loving, chaotic household, you are a part of it forever…so please don’t hurt him or us.

As his mother I was blessed to be a part of the “all boys mom club”. Which means I have done over 10,000 loads of laundry, been to about a million sporting events, and pinched my nose about a 1,000 times before entering their bedrooms.

It also means I was there when this tiny creature laid on my chest for the first time, I was there for his first steps, I was there at every bath time, I was there for his first (and numerous ER trips), and I was there for every single major life event.

This man that you are now willing to give your entire heart, soul and being to, captured mine the minute the doctor laid him in my arms. Actually before that, he had my soul the first time I felt him move in my womb.

This man you are about to share the rest of your life with is still and will always be my baby. Since the moment I had him, through the years watching him grow into the man he is today, I have dreamt about you. I have wondered what kind of woman you would be, what kind of person you would be, and hopefully what kind of mother you will be. But my one request is that you love him totally, completely, and fully. Don’t love part of him, or hate his quirks, or get irritated how he eats his cereal. Love him fully. Because all of those little habits make him the man you fell in love with.

And be honest with him, with yourself, and with each other. Don’t hurt him. If you aren’t happy, then discuss it; if you need more, then talk about it; or if some changes need to be made, then request them. Just please don’t ever be a coward and take the easy way out. You are about to make a promise to my baby, the little boy I still see in his T-ball uniform, the toddler I can still see with the scraped knees, and the teenager I can still see in his cap and gown.

I have been there for every step of his life, so now I am handing him over to you. I understand that now it will be your smile he looks for, your hand he reaches for, and your hugs he needs first. I am happily willing to relinquish my title and position to you; but under the condition of truth and honesty.

This man is handing you his everything. I have his past, while you have his future. So I ask of you to love him like I have loved him, care for him like I have cared for him, and trust him like I have trusted him, all the while allowing him the same from you.

Sincerely,
Your Future Mother in Law

No comments: